I’ve been so consumed with election crap and bare-knuckles battling over political issues that it took far too long to realize I’ve lost sight of two of my most important personal values, operating principles, whatever you choose to call them:
- People before process. Without solid people, processes fail. Phrased differently…when we lose sight of our humanity we’re nothing but a go-through-the-motions shell.
- Focus on the front end, and control the integrity of the production processes.
Following: a short list for each. Raw, needs your input.
Short List: Solid People (please add!)
- A mountain of private sector and academic research has pointed out that personal well-being drives performance and achievement, in the workplace and the classroom. Reference “engagement theory”.
- Social-emotional development: kindness, compassion, understanding and appreciating differences (demographic and belief systems).
- Civic Savvy / Global Citizenship: globalization, current affairs, why democracy does / doesn’t work, making intelligent decisions; volunteerism / being involved and informed.
- Responsible consumerism—environmental / save the planet issues
- Spiritual well-being: purpose, values. Something to believe in. Community, family.
Short List: Focus on the Front End and Processes (this could go on forever! Please add)
Stemming from earliest process control / quality management tenets, fine-tuned by the six sigma community and systems thinkers. Quality of outputs is determined by quality of inputs, and by the consistency and capability of the realization processes.
- Understand the systemic interactions among the various processes, and the systemic connections among allegedly “local” beliefs, actions and practices. Butterfly effect or ripple effect.
- Kid development, specifically helping our kids to understand what it means to be human (see #1). Example is a great teacher, and it’s more than parenting at home. We’re all teachers of human values and social norms. Parents need surrogate help from the community and especially the education system.
- Education reform (another humongous area!). How do humans learn best? What do we need to learn about? Who is best equipped to teach what? (loosen the restrictions on who provides learning in the classroom. We could gain a good deal by utilizing subject matter expert adjunct. And education could use the help!) Why do we focus on “process” stuff and ignore human development?
- Practice what we preach. It’s not enough to espouse a whole bunch of really cool stuff. Reality has to match or it’s meaningless.
- Election / political system / democratic integrity (many, many sub-thoughts on this!)
- Media integrity: people need trustworthy information to make intelligent decisions. When real information is withheld people are easily manipulated and make poor decisions.
That’s a decent start, and it’s plenty from me for now. Please offer your thoughts—am I missing the mark? What else can be added?
And, HOW can we do this stuff?